Youth Soccer

I have been National Class Athlete a large portion of my younger years.  Have done road racing, track and field, adventure racing, triathlons etc.  Had national sponsorships from some great shoe companies, apparel manufactures and others.  When I was competing full time I was chosen as Eli Lilly's Diabetic Athlete of the Year having developed diabetes in my thirties.  


My adopted son Wyatt is becoming quite the little star in soccer at age nine and he loves it.  My worry is that he sometimes plays 4 games in a day on weekends with his team and starts practice at 6:30 am on some weekends.  My worry is that he will burnout by the time he reaches college age.


I went to a private school that track and field was the major sport and actually recruited .  Many of my team mates were training and competing since a very young.  A good number of my classmates received scholarships to college and a portion quit competing because they had enough of the grind of training and competing for the 10 plus years prior. I always leave it up to my son whether or not he wants to play the four games or attend a very early practice on a Sunday.


Looking for other parents thoughts on this issue; positive or negative. 


The latest on my sons soccer indoor season is they are having training on Sundays at 6:30 a.m.   He has to get up earlier then he does for school each day.  Not sure at age 9 whether or not this is a positive or negative.  Any thoughts???????

Comments

Popular posts from this blog